17th Century Rabbit's Foot or Hare's Foot

rabbit's foot charm for magic

Samuel Pepys (surname pronounced PEEPS or PIPS, due to old fashioned spelling which interchanges Y and E -- "Pepes") lived in London in the 17th century, and kept a very thorough diary for several years. Amidst his writings are his adventures with a magico-medical hare's foot. He used it for protection and alleviation of diseases. This was important for a man like him, who had suffered severe enough bladder stones that he needed surgery (back before anesthetic or sanitation.) 

The term "rabbit" in the 17th century was only used to refer to the babies of the animal usually called in this period a coney. This is a slightly different animal from a hare but the two animals, then as now, are regarded as somewhat interchangeable in regular discussion. Even medical books of the time frequently say "a hare or coney" like either will do in their recipes. 

Here are excerpts about Pepys's hare's foot:

But I bless God I never have been in so good plight as to my health in so very cold weather as this is, nor indeed in any hot weather, these ten years, as I am at this day, and have been these four or five months. But I am at a great losse to know whether it be my hare’s foote, or taking every morning of a pill of turpentine, or my having left off the wearing of a gowne.

__ 

So homeward, in my way buying a hare and taking it home, which arose upon my discourse to-day with Mr. Batten, in Westminster Hall, who showed me my mistake that my hare’s foote hath not the joynt to it; and assures me he never had his cholique since he carried it about him: and it is a strange thing how fancy works, for I no sooner almost handled his foote but my belly began to be loose and to break wind, and whereas I was in some pain yesterday and t’other day and in fear of more to-day, I became very well, and so continue.

__ 

To my office till past 12, and then home to supper and to bed, being now mighty well, and truly I cannot but impute it to my fresh hare’s foote. Before I went to bed I sat up till two o’clock in my chamber reading of Mr. Hooke’s Microscopicall Observations, the most ingenious book that ever I read in my life.

__ 

This is the day seven years which, by the blessing of God, I have survived of my being cut of the stone, and am now in very perfect good health and have long been; and though the last winter hath been as hard a winter as any have been these many years, yet I never was better in my life, nor have not, these ten years, gone colder in the summer than I have done all this winter, wearing only a doublet, and a waistcoate cut open on the back; abroad, a cloake and within doors a coate I slipped on. Now I am at a losse to know whether it be my hare’s foot which is my preservative against wind, for I never had a fit of the collique since I wore it, and nothing but wind brings me pain, and the carrying away of wind takes away my pain, or my keeping my back cool; for when I do lie longer than ordinary upon my back in bed, my water the next morning is very hot, or whether it be my taking of a pill of turpentine every morning, which keeps me always loose, or all together, but this I know, with thanks to God Almighty, that I am now as well as ever I can wish or desire to be, having now and then little grudgings of wind, that brings me a little pain, but it is over presently, only I do find that my backe grows very weak, that I cannot stoop to write or tell money without sitting but I have pain for a good while after it.